Saturday, January 30, 2010

Grandma Brown's Cinnamon Rolls

Posted by Jennifer Ashley at 10:14 PM


After eating the most amazing cinnamon roll the other night, it got me thinking about my favorite cinnamon rolls. Growing up, I don't think I ever ate another cinnamon roll other than the ones made by my Grandma. I remember her making them on the island in our kitchen after riding 24 hours on the Greyhound bus from Michigan (because she is afraid to fly) just because I wanted her to make them. It seemed like magic how she could take the simplest things and turn them into something that nobody else could make.



For Christmas, I made my mom a hardback cookbook filled with our family's recipes and I made sure that this recipe from Grandma Brown was in there. In fact, I think it's on the first page of the book. It's that important...and that incredible. People may make some pretty good cinnamon rolls but no one ever makes anything quite as special as Grandma. Yeah, you can go to a restaurant and order the same things that she makes but I think it's the memories of watching her make them and remembering how they made the house smell that makes them taste that much better.

(all the ingredients are estimated...grandmas never measure)



Ingredients
-1/2 box Jiffy biscuit mix (we're partial to Jiffy because it's made in my mom's hometown...and my Uncle Duke works for Jiffy)
-enough water to make it stiff (like a biscuit dough)
-1 stick butter
-1 cup sugar
-1/4 cup cinnamon
-flour for countertop

ICING INGREDIENTS
-1 box powdered sugar
-enough water for desired icing consistincy

DIRECTIONS
1) Preheat oven to 350
2) Mix jiffy and water until it makes a stiff dough
3) Turn the dough out onto a floured countertop
4) Roll out the dough into a large rectangle
5) Melt butter
6) Pour over the dough
7) Make sure butter is evenly spread over the dough
8) Sprinkle the sugar evenly over the dough
9) Sprinkle the cinnamon over the sugar
10) Roll the dough from end to end like a jelly roll
11) Cut the roll into 1 inch slices
12) Place the slices onto a greased baking pan
13) Bake at 350 for 30 minutes
14) Mix icing ingredients
15) Drizzle icing over cooled cinnamon rolls

0 comments on "Grandma Brown's Cinnamon Rolls"

Post a Comment

 

Sweetie Pie Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez