Saturday, February 13, 2010

Honey Bourbon Brown Sugar Pound Cake

Posted by Jennifer Ashley at 12:02 AM


Well guys, it's official. I have successfully made my FIRST pound cake. I was really super nervous because I know that it is really easy to mess up. I found this recipe out of a huge Good Housekeeping cookbook that I ordered online (I needed books to keep me from spending hours online looking at recipes...it was getting slightly ridiculous). This pound cake sounded really good and it involved cooking with (GASP) alcohol! (which was intriguing). I gave my dad the grocery list which included a trip to the ABC store (he said he hoped that someone from church saw him so that he could tell them that he was buying whiskey for his underage daughter) haha. It turned out splendidly...dare I say perfect. :) At the bake sale, one man bought a piece from me. I was really nervous because apparently he is a pound cake EXPERT. He came back to the bake sale to ask me how I made it because he actually thought it was GOOD! Yay! Victory!

Honey Bourbon Brown Sugar Pound Cake
Ingredients
-3 cups All-Purpose flour
-3/4 tsp salt
-1/2 tsp baking powder
-1/2 tsp baking soda
-3/4 cup milk
-2 tsp vanilla extract
-4 tablespoons honey bourbon
-1 and 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
-1/2 cup granulated sugar
-1 cup butter (2 sticks) softened ***do not use margarine
-5 large eggs

Directions
1) Preheat oven to 325. Grease and flour tube pan
2) In a medium bowl, stirl together flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder.
3) In another bowl, mix milk, vanilla, and bourbon.
4) In a large bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat brown sugar, sugar, and butter
5) Increase speed to high and beat until light and creamy. Add eggs one at a timem beating well after each addition. Reduce speed to low, add flour mixture alternately with milk mixture beginning and ending with flour mixture, scraping bowl occasionally with rubber spatula.
6) Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 1 hour 20 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched with finger and toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
7) Cool in pan 10 minutes. Loosen cake from side and center of pan. Remove from pan, place on wire rack over waxed paper.



***There is an optional glaze that is brushed over the cake when the cake is still warm. I didn't use it because the cake was too darn good already :) but here is how you make it.

Ingredients
-2 tablespoons orange juice
-1/3 cup sugar
-2 tablespoons bourbon

Directions
1) In a small bowl, combine orange juice, sugar, and bourbon.
2) Brush mixture all over warm cake.
3) Cool completely.

0 comments on "Honey Bourbon Brown Sugar Pound Cake"

Post a Comment

 

Sweetie Pie Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez